At KLRN, our mission is to open a world of lifelong learning through trustworthy and enriching programs on-air, online and in our community. KLRN has always made it a priority to provide learning resources for all families.
During these times of uncertainty, we continue to look for creative ways to provide learning opportunities for your family while at home. We are committed to helping your family make the transition to learning at home easier. As always, we are proud to be a resource for educators, parents, and caregivers especially during these times when schools are closed and children are home for extended periods of time. Through this daily educational blog post we hope to offer you resources that you can use at home to make learning fun and engaging for your children.
This first blog post is all about resources in the community and online that will help as you make this transition for your family. Starting Monday our daily blog post will include easy to follow lessons for PBS Kids on air programming and lessons for our new educational programs, airing M-F from 4-5 p.m., these programs will cover topics such as Science, History and Arts. We realize that this can be a stressful time for you and your child and we hope that our easy to follow activities and lessons will allow you to watch our educational programming on air and extend the learning into your home.
All the best,
KLRN’s Education Team
Digital Learning Resources for PreK-12
- PBS LearningMedia is free and can be used by anyone. Teachers can use it with the remind app, Google classroom, and you can even create folders for your own reference and to share with your students, colleagues, and families.
- PBS has provided some Distance Learning Tips from one teacher to another.
- KLRN’s broadcast schedule is a great resources to plan ahead especially with our new 4-5 p.m. program aimed at Science, History and Art.
- KLRN has a bilingual Healthy Kids Project with bilingual lesson plans for children ages 0-9.
- Watt Watchers of Texas is a state-sponsored STEM program to help boost energy literacy for K-12 students and help schools save money by saving energy.
- PBS Bringing the Universe to America's Classrooms (K-12)
- Comal Continues: Resources for Distance Learning
Resources for Parents and Caregivers
- Starting Monday tune into KLRN at 4 p.m. for Educational programs on Science, Nature, History, Arts and Culture then check back on this blog for lessons that will compliment these programs.
- PBS KIDS for Parents offers free resources and information from articles like How to talk with your kids about coronavirus to family learning activities. All PBS KIDS for Parents content is created by expert educators and child development professionals and vetted by PBS.
- Sign up for the PBS KIDS for Parents daily newsletter for tips, tools and support while children are home from school.
- Parents can also sign up for PBS LearningMedia to design at home learning across grade levels.
- MEET THE HELPERS is a public media initiative designed to introduce children to community helpers and practice emergency preparedness.
Fun Activities for Kids
- The San Diego Zoo has a website just for kids with amazing videos, activities, and games. Enjoy the tour!
- Indoor Activities for busy toddlers
- Travel to Paris, France to see amazing works of art at The Louvre with this virtual field trip.
- Geography and animals with National Geographic Kids
- Favorite children’s books read by famous people with Storyline Online
- SA Public Library (e-books, e-learning, & more)
Digital Learning for Kids
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood
- "Daniel Gets a Cold / Mom Tiger is Sick" (full episode)
- Doctor Daniel Game
- In My Bathroom Game
- Play at Home with Daniel Tiger App
- "Rest is Best" Strategy Song (video)
- Germs Germs Go Away with Handwashing (video)
- A Germ-Fighting Superhero (video)
- Abby and Elmo's Potty Plan! Game
- Step by Step Handwashing with Elmo (activity sheet)
- Elmo and Rosita: The Right Way to Sneeze! (video)
Sid the Science Kid
- How you and your kids can destress during coronavirus. PBS Parent article.
- 7 music games for practicing self-regulation.
Recursos en espanol
- Como hablar con tus hijos sobre el coronavirus.
- Spanish Children's Stories - The Spanish Experiment (Cuentos en Español)