As you may have heard, the president’s proposed budget eliminates funding for public media through the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). This includes funding that is currently provided to all public television and radio stations across the country.
Without support from friends, constituents, viewers, and supporters right now, there is a critical risk of losing public media as we know it. KLRN plays an essential role in early childhood education, public safety, connecting citizens to our history and promoting civil discussions in our community.
Since the announcement was made, many people have asked us how they can help and allow their voices to be heard. Below are talking points and action items. Your support is more important now than ever.
- Sign the national petition: PROTECT MY PUBLIC MEDIA. By signing it, you will be kept informed on any updates or further action needed.
- Call, e-mail, or visit with your officials in Congress to let them know the important role that KLRN and public media plays in your life. Your voice is the most powerful voice right now. (See full list of officials below.)
- Share this information with your friends, family, and neighbors both in person and through your social media channels. It is going to take the “public” in public media to keep this valued treasure going strong.
- KLRN provides children’s educational resources and programming on-air, online, and in the community by preparing children for school and helping them to understand the world around us.
- KLRN provides unique quality uninterrupted programming, for free, that informs, inspires and educates.
- Currently, funding for public media only costs taxpayers $1.35 per citizen each year.
- Federal funding provides approximately $1 million dollars and represents 17 percent of KLRN’s annual budget.
Senator Ted Cruz
Senator John Cornyn
Representative Joaquin Castro
Representative Henry Cuellar
Representative Will Hurd